Grant Proposal: Sia Proxmox Backup Feasibility Study

Project Name: Sia Proxmox Backup Feasibility Study

Name of Organization Submitting Proposal : A-Z Computer Solutions

Purpose of the Grant: Currently, The purpose of this grant is to conduct a feasibility study to see if it is possible to develop an open-source module that would allow proxmox backup server to backup to cloud platforms. The cloud backup platform would support plugins which would allow each cloud platform to support data backup. Sia would be the only open-source plugin and would be freely available. We also purpose to explore if it is possible to develop the module on our own or develop it and have it included in the proxmox source.

If the findings are amenable to the Sia Foundation and community, we will move forward with another grant proposal for the full-time and cost of development.

Code contributions will be made open source.

Timeline: 1 Month

Goals: Deliver feasibility report to Sia Foundation on the estimate of cost and development for enabling atomic swaps via adaptor signatures against many different cryptocurrencies and platforms. This will include: Estimate of Cost, Developer Hours, and other considerations regarding the development of this technology.

Budget: $6,000 USD or equivalent

The budget will go towards developers to conduct the investigation. The project manager has done its best to estimate as close as possible the amount required to get the feasibility study done, but should there be any leftover $$$ those funds would be rolled into the development project should the project move forward or returned to the Sia foundation at its discretion.

Reporting

We will report to the Sia Foundation our findings.

Thanks rdwild!

This was submitted after our deadline for review, however due to the short length of the proposal I’ll see if we can work it in to our agenda. I’ll let you know how we fare tomorrow.

Hello @rdwild,

Thanks again for this proposal.

The committee did not have enough time to address this in their last meeting, but will consider it during next meeting if the copy/paste from the Sia Atomic proposal is updated, specifically, the “Goals” section. Please make sure to have it finalized by the 19th so it can be reviewed next meeting.

Thanks,

Kino on behalf of the Sia Foundation and Grants Committee

Project Name: Sia Proxmox Backup Feasibility Study

Name of Organization Submitting Proposal : A-Z Computer Solutions

Purpose of the Grant: Currently, The purpose of this grant is to conduct a feasibility study to see if it is possible to develop an open-source module that would allow proxmox backup server to backup to cloud platforms. The cloud backup platform would support plugins which would allow each cloud platform to support data backup. Sia would be the only open-source plugin and would be freely available. We also purpose to explore if it is possible to develop the module on our own or develop it and have it included in the proxmox source.

If the findings are amenable to the Sia Foundation and community, we will move forward with another grant proposal for the full-time and cost of development.

Code contributions will be made open source.

Timeline: 1 Month

Goals: Deliver feasibility report to Sia Foundation on the estimate of cost and development of a proxmox backup solution that would implement a cloud backup module with individual cloud backup plugins to support a particular cloud vender solution. This will include estimate of cost and developer Hours.

Budget: $6,000 USD or equivalent

The budget will go towards developers to conduct the investigation. The project manager has done its best to estimate as close as possible the amount required to get the feasibility study done, but should there be any leftover $$$ those funds would be rolled into the development project should the project move forward or returned to the Sia foundation at its discretion.

Reporting

We will report to the Sia Foundation our findings.

Hello RDWild,

Thanks for updating your previous grant proposal to a feasibility study. The committee has approved this grant!

Please respond to this post with your email address, or send it to us on Discord. We’ll start getting you onboarded once we have that info.

Regards,
Kino on behalf of the Sia Foundation and Grants Committee

Grant Approval Announcement: https://www.azcs.ca/research-grant-approved/

Update: We received the grant funds yesterday. We have started the hiring process and posted the job and have a number of candidates who have expressed interest.

Update: We sent out assessments to all the candidates to confirm their skill sets. This process should be completed by the end of the week and we should have an offer to hire out to a candidate.

Update: After a fairly long process to confirm sklll set a developer is now hired.

Progress Report Form

Date: Aug 2023

• What progress was made on your grant this month?
    • We received the grant funds yesterday (Aug 15). We have started the hiring process and posted the job and have several candidates who have expressed interest.
    • We sent out assessments to all the candidates to confirm their skill sets. This process should be completed by the end of the week (last week of august) and we should have an offer to hire out to a candidate.
    • After a fairly long process to confirm sklll sets a developer is now hired
    • As the developer was just hired there is no progress to report for this month.

Links to repos worked on this month:

• None Since this is a research project.

What will you be working on this month (Sept)?
Please summarize your development goals into a few sentences or bullet points:

• Is it possible to develop an add-on module (referred to here as Cloud Backup Module) to the Proxmox Backup Server software.
  • Is it possible to add plugin infrastructure in rust?
  • Is it possible to develop a plugin for the cloud backup module to backup data to a Sia renterd server via the sia renterd api.
  • Please provide an estimate of time that is required to create the above modules and the Sia Renterd plugin.

@steve @Kinomora Update: Our developer has completed his assessment and I will need about a week or two to go through his stuff and put it into a format that I can report on. Is it possible to hold off reporting until the report is complete?

That’s fine @rdwild, especially since this concludes your grant anyway. Thanks for the update.

The report is now complete, I am just waiting on a response to my request to have the project included in the base source before posting the report. The supporting documentation is 27 pages long. Do you want me to post that as a pdf or copy and paste?

You can post as a PDF, thanks.

I re-applied for the full grant and attached it as a link as I could not post it as a pdf (it does not allow uploading pdfs for some reason).

Ah, I see it there. We’ve got it on the docket to review next week.

Awesome, great to hear. thanx.