Insufficient hosts to recover file

• Hello,

I'm using the latest from the repository as of yesterday, I think version 0.6.0.

I'm able to download a file I uploaded to the Sia network from the machine that uploaded it. But if I take the siafile for the uploaded file, load it into sia on another machine & try to download on that machine it tells me:

Could not download file: Download failed: insufficient hosts to recover file

Is that expected? Do I need to wait it to propagate, or for the second machine to establish connections? Wasn't sure if it indicates something is off that the first machine can download the file from the network fine but the second machine can't.

• Global Moderator

@HoteiLife said:

I'm using the latest from the repository as of yesterday, I think version 0.6.0.

0.6.0 is not released yet, just Release Candidates of it (we're currently at RC2). So, expect these to be buggy etc.

I'm able to download a file I uploaded to the Sia network from the machine that uploaded it. But if I take the siafile for the uploaded file, load it into sia on another machine & try to download on that machine it tells me:

Are you trying to download the .sia file from a pre 0.6.0 host? The 0.6.0 hosts are not compatible with hosts/renters running older version, so this won't work.

Let us know if you're indeed running 0.6.0-rc on both nodes.

• I installed them both yesterday from the repository, so pretty sure they're the same version. But if there's some way to verify I can do it.

It seems to load OK on the second machine & the file shows, with correct size, in the "renter list" command.

The file is here if you have some way to test (very small file):
    https://staging.siafiles.com/#/siafile/572ffd4533abfa19cb000002

• Global Moderator

@HoteiLife
    I tried downloading the .sia file but am getting the same error as you:
    $ ./siac renter download WhereSecretsLast /home/siad/WhereSecretsLast

• Tried again from both machines. Same thing. Second machine gives the above error. But the machine I uploaded from still successfully downloads the correct file. Guess it's not a synch time issue.

• I ran into the same error when I copied some of my "*.sia" files to another machine.

Apparently, the "*.sia" files are not standalone files. Seems like you must copy the entire "renter" folder for the files to be accessed on another machine. Probably a good idea to copy your "wallet" folder and your wallet password also.

• admins

Yes, right now it's NOT sufficient just to have the .sia files, you need the most recent set of renter files. We are actively working on a fix for this, and should have one ready in v1.2.x or v1.3.x. Once we've made that upgrade, it will be enough to just have the .sia files.

Sia is very much still in heavy development at this point.

• @Taek - Glad to hear it's in the works!