Hosting storage from a NAS?

• I would like to host my storage off of my FreeNAS, currently the only method I can do so is mapping a network drive and creating a new drive letter. But is there any other way? I would prefer to do something like \FreeNAS\sia but it does not like that. I would like all of the network traffic to go straight to my FreeNAS box instead of through my desktop computer.

• Global Moderator

@Jordan83 not unless you could put sia on the freenas box.

Make sure you tag me @bryan if you need to me respond.
    Forum Mod. I cannot fix transactions. I can't help with Mac or Linux.
    alt text
    Unofficial Web Based Siacoin Wallet. No more syncing.

• @Jordan83
    Just guessing:
    I think FreeNAS isn't much different than SmartOS.
    install golang, install git and run
    go get -u github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia/...
    as it is described.

Or is FreeNAS a FreeBSD stripped down to such level where you can't install golang and git?

• I would put Sia on the FreeNAS as suggested by the other folks, but if that's not an option, then look at this article for a few more options how to mount FreeNAS drives to your PC.

I use my NAS mounted over NFS, but that's only possible because I got Linux on my desktop ;-)

• @maol said in Hosting storage from a NAS?:

I would put Sia on the FreeNAS as suggested by the other folks, but if that's not an option, then look at this article for a few more options how to mount FreeNAS drives to your PC.

I use my NAS mounted over NFS, but that's only possible because I got Linux on my desktop ;-)

I have an NFS share already mounted to my windows 10 desktop. But this is what I am trying to avoid so my desktop is not in the middle of my NAS and the Sia network.

• @reinisp said in Hosting storage from a NAS?:

@Jordan83
    Just guessing:
    I think FreeNAS isn't much different than SmartOS.
    install golang, install git and run
    go get -u github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia/...
    as it is described.

Or is FreeNAS a FreeBSD stripped down to such level where you can't install golang and git?

FreeNAS is a FreeBSD and can install from github. But why install golang?

• @Jordan83
    At the end it is "building from sources" for all platforms where prebuilt binaries are not offered.
    You need golang to build sia (sia is written in go language).
    And you need git so the golang can retrieve all the sources for you.

At the end you'll have 2 executable files- siad and siac. That's all you need to run sia... You can remove golang and git afterwards, though, you'll need them later to update your sia to the next latest version.

I built it on (in) one VM and copied these two files to my siahosting zone (aka jail).
    Just create a startup script where you add the -d parameter (where the siad will put its working files- consensus, wallet etc.)
    The first run takes a long time, you cannot use any commands (including wallet creation/unlocking) until it has started up.

I put this into my startup script to unlock the wallet for hosting:
    curl -A "Sia-Agent" -d "encryptionpassword=<your wallet unlock password or seed here>" "localhost:9980/wallet/unlock"