Partner with ETClabs to bring Smart Contract to Sia

I would like to see the Foundation sponsor a partnership between Nebulous Labs and ETClabs to support the development of core-geth and integration with sia.

Recent 51% attacks on the Ethereum Classic network, along with miner and developer disagreements, are compromising the integrity of the original Ethereum blockchain. To mend these fissures I propose a partnership between Nebulous Labs and ETClabs predicated on the adoption of “ECIP-1096 merge-mining” modified for blake2b and burning all known double-spend addresses on the ETC blockchain.

If the Foundation would consider participating in a community call with the core-geth developers this Tuesday the 23rd of March 2021 at 22:00 UTC (17:00 CST) in the Ethereum Classic Discord we could discuss this further, that’s 10:00pm greenwich and 5:00pm central.

I’m not entirely sure what’s being proposed here.

If the proposal requires changes to the Sia consensus layer, that’s a non-starter.

It sounds like maybe the “Visibility proofs” could be included in the Sia blockchain by encoding them in the ArbitraryData field. Technically speaking, there is nothing preventing ETC from doing this, but socially we discourage people from using ArbitraryData for purposes that do not relate to Sia itself.

In any case, I worry that merge-mining with Sia would only incentivize bad actors to attack the Sia chain, with no tangible benefit to Sia. So… unless there’s something I’m missing here, I don’t see this happening.

btw, Sia already has smart contracts (and I don’t see how this proposal would affect that anyhow).

1 Like

Visibility Proofs are utilized by RSK to integrate blockchains of various blocktimes with Bitcoin’s 10 minute blocktime. This would probably also be necessary to integrate with Sia. Auxpow with blake2b would not require any changes to the Sia consensus layer. Of course, we’ll have to check with Sergio Lerner.

The intention of this proposal is to invite the Foundation to work with ETClabs developers to canonize an open source ethereum in the core-geth project, free from bad actors. This would only be possible by assuming custody of their blockchain security via merge-mining, as block rewards would be distributed to obilisk asics and other blake2b miners heretofore beholden only to sia.

Smart contracts are possible with sia currently, though the integration of decentralized hosting and tokenization via the Ethereum Virtual Machine will only serve to further the aims of both projects.

Public blake2b proofs can also be used by anyone to merge-mine a sidechain without rewarding miners, however it’s better to form strategic partnerships than secret combinations.

I’m still confused what actual benefit this would bring to the Sia ecosystem. Like what would building ETH contracts into SIa actually do for Sia.

1 Like

Both sia and etc understand the value and importance of PoW. Blake2b has great support and the ethereum classic blockchain is equipped with all the features of ethereum mainnet since the Agharta + Phoenix hard forks, but none of the chainbloat, thus positioning etc as an excellent strategic partner for sia. Combining sia and etc would permit access to the turing-complete EVM and renter payments to finally settle any currency in siacoin. The vision is to use etc as a DEX and sia for hosting. This is not to be some developers cash cow, but a merger between what I see as two of the most valuable projects with the best leadership.

I believe a strategic partnership with the Foundation and ETClabs could create a dual client for claiming etc auxpow rewards and integration with siacoin for an EVM-powered skynet with tokens traded via ethereum-powered DEX. This would be similar to what is already implemented and open-source via the saturn project.

Imagine: A decentralized crowdfunding network where investor dividends are airdropped.

Both sia and etc understand the value and importance of PoW

Okay and?

Combining sia and etc would permit access to the turing-complete EVM and renter payments to finally settle any currency in siacoin.

Right, okay, but like… why? The whole point of Sia having its own chain is so it runs on it’s own currency and transacts in it’s own currency.

Imagine: A decentralized crowdfunding network where investor dividends are airdropped.

Investing is inherently trustful due to relying on real life factors so I don’t really see any use in making it “decentralized” for no reason.

I support total decentralization and the elimination of any hierarchy that is not voluntary. The reason to create a crowdfunding network for investors is to eliminate usury and banking. This is possible with skynet and ethereum.

You might ask: What benefit is there to eliminate moneylending? To which I must respond that compound interest is not the eighth wonder of the world, but rather a weapon of mass destruction used to enslave the majority of the human population and maintain their ignorance.

The whole point of integrating etc with sia is that sia has their own chain that runs on its own currency, for which ethereum would be a bridge to other networks.

If you cannot see the benefit of sia’s interaction with other networks then I cannot help you place the glasses on your face to remedy your shortsightedness.

I don’t see what this has to do with cloud storage.

I haven’t seen any concrete examples here that would justify investing time and effort in an integration. Going to close this.

2 Likes