Budget proposal: Yearly Siacoin Conference

I want to make the formal proposal of setting up a yearly Sia conference that is exclusive to Sia.
Budget: 25m siacoin (current price at 0.02$). Taek proposed in another thread ~400k-500k $ as the right amount for hosting a conference.

As most people around the world are being vaccinated, unless a new Covid resurgence happens, I think it will be safe to host a conference, judging from the existence of the Bitcoin 2021 conference. I don’t think Sia necessarily needs to host a formal conference this year, but it would be a good idea to make plans to host one up by next year. It would be good to see more members of the sia community and talk about how sia is going or make any announcements. It would also be good to have it yearly if we foresee sia becoming one of the top coins.

2 Likes

What would the $500,000 be going toward? How large of an event are we talking? If we are talking 100 people or less it would probably not cost nearly that much.

I think the Sia Foundation should consider sponsoring a conference that is more than Sia, but decentralized web as a whole. The best value conferences can provide is serendipitous collaboration, and this is more likely to happen if we proactively invite people outside the Sia community to participate.

I was in Miami for Bitcoin 2021 and I was disappointed by the nature of the conference. I described it as a “music festival with no music.” I would have loved more opportunities for technical and networking sessions—content that really focused on the meat and potatoes of crypto, and not just the flashy “lambo” “moon” bullshit. And of course, the almost-exclusive fixation on Bitcoin to the exclusion of other technologies was disappointing.

I have experience with organizing large events in the past and am considering putting on a dweb conference in 2022. At that time I will make a request for sponsorship.

2 Likes

I think a decentralized web conference is the way to go as well if feasible between now and then. I think Sia has a lot to showcase and can really stand out in terms of positioning in the space. There needs to be some degree of flash and pizzazz but Sia can showcase where they’re at, where they’re going, and who is riding on their storage layer back. This would allow for certain partners to get exposure (Skynet & apps developed using them, Filebase, Storewise, etc.) while Sia staying true to themselves as being the pioneers and leaders in the space.