first impressions vers. 1.2.0

• I'm happy the folks over at Sia increased speed for handing out new releases. I'll let you guys know what I think of the latest, 1.2.0, which I downloaded and start using today.

first things first:

• Down load and "install" (sia does not install as such - just runs the executable) was easy as always. An added bonus, you can now do it without using admin rights :-) ..
    • in the release notes it was stated that the first run could take long. In my case it took 4+ hours. What ever it does during that time, it does very slow!! (I have 2000 cntracts and 110G used of 200G allocated of hosted files)
    • The next issue, which is really serious: During the initial run a new massive file (in my case ca. 200G), siahostdata.dat, builds up. It simply ate ALL available storage in the drive, I announced to be my storage for hosted files. Unless there is a very good explanation that file does not belong there, I think!! What happens if that file out grows the physical space allocated for hosted files??
    • Next issue is a new status-mark on the UI, where it says "host not reachable", advicing me to check some net work settings. Now.. those settings did not change, so I wonder what that now is. On start up the program takes very long time to investigate this status... Update: after a restart of SIA, I now have a green status..
    • I can how ever confrim initialization of SIA is now much quicker (eg. the unlocking of teh wallet)

I have to conclude; don't use this version, until there is an explanation to the above 2 issues, which I find very strange to have to experience myself un mentioned in any release notes!?

• This post is deleted!

• admins

in the release notes it was stated that the first run could take long. In my case it took 4+ hours. What ever it does during that time, it does very slow!! (I have 2000 cntracts and 110G used of 200G allocated of hosted files)

It has to copy all of the data from the old format to the new format. The upgrade is slow.

The next issue, which is really serious: During the initial run a new massive file (in my case ca. 200G), siahostdata.dat, builds up. It simply ate ALL available storage in the drive, I announced to be my storage for hosted files. Unless there is a very good explanation that file does not belong there, I think!! What happens if that file out grows the physical space allocated for hosted files??

It pre-allocates a sparse file the size of the storage folder you created. In the case of this release, the sparse-file code is wrong, so actually it just directly writes out the whole file. This is already fixed in the master branch, and the fix will be available in the next release. But, it will still end up as a file that's equal to the size of the storage folder you allocated.

We do it this way so that we can manage tens of millions of pieces without needing tens of millions of files in a single directory.

• @Taek; thanx for, as always, your comprehensive and quick answers.. :-)
    one thing I did not catch;

We do it this way so that we can manage tens of millions of pieces without needing tens of millions of files in a single directory.

....does this mean that you move away from the MANY little 4MB files into one big one as the data container?? ..I'm asking since I used to have tens of thousands small 4MB files, now I have a few thousands and a very large one (the above mentioned) so I wonder why there are like to different types of files and why the amounts have changed over the upgrade..

• admins

If everything worked correctly, you should have exactly 2 files now, a small metadata file and a large data file. The data file should be about the size of the storage folder, and the metadata file should be about 1/200,000 the size of the data file.

If you have 4MB files remaining, that means that somewhere along the line some data got left behind. You can delete it now. It may have just not been cleaned up correctly, it doesn't necessarily mean the data was left behind or lost.