Not a valid application

• I was going to run Siacoin full-time on a old Windows XT machine I had laying around. I downloaded the Win-32 version of Siacoin but Windows XT claims it's not a valid application. I guess Siacoin won't run on older operating systems?

• admins

You mean Windows XP? Are you sure that you downloaded the correct version? There's a 32bit and a 64bit release for Windows, I'm guessing you grabbed the wrong one. I think they both say win32 in them, but the 64bit one says win32-x64. The other one I believe says win32-ia32

• Sorry about that. I meant to say Windows XP. The one I downloaded is Sia-UI-win32-ia32.zip. Is that the one I should be using for XP?

• I've tried both versions now and get the same results with both versions.

• Global Moderator

I just downloaded Sia-UI-win32-ia32 to try on an old XP computer as well. I got some weird message that some files in the zip file were password protected (?). When running Sia-UI I get the same error as JPCrypto: Sia-UI.exe is not a valid Win32 application (oh, and XP also seems to think Sia-UI.exe is a zip file and wants to unzip it).

So, Sia-UI seems broken on Windows 32 bit, or just XP at the very least.

Just running siad and siac seems to work fine though. It is synching now.

@JPCrypto When running XP again I realize how f**king bad it is! If you don't care too much about it, put a Linux distro on it. Its a lot more fun, an should run smoother than XP too :-)

• admins

Oh hmm. That's probably an issue with Electron then, since the go code is working just fine. I guess we have to start claiming that the GUI doesn't work on XP anymore. =/ that's not something we can fix, either the Electron guys have to fix it or we just have to accept the limitations.

• @Taek if you can't fix it you can't fix it, I guess, but since there is another thread about encouraging use in China, I thought I'd mention that Wikipedia points out that, somehow, 30% of computers in China still use Windows XP (8% should be closer to the worldwide figure).

• @in-cred-u-lous said:

I just downloaded Sia-UI-win32-ia32 to try on an old XP computer as well. I got some weird message that some files in the zip file were password protected (?). When running Sia-UI I get the same error as JPCrypto: Sia-UI.exe is not a valid Win32 application (oh, and XP also seems to think Sia-UI.exe is a zip file and wants to unzip it).

So, Sia-UI seems broken on Windows 32 bit, or just XP at the very least.

Just running siad and siac seems to work fine though. It is synching now.

@JPCrypto When running XP again I realize how f**king bad it is! If you don't care too much about it, put a Linux distro on it. Its a lot more fun, an should run smoother than XP too :-)

Agreed but the problem is that my XP box is "headless". Kinda hard to install a distro with no monitor or keyboard. :(