Using Sia for distributed file publishing

• Hello, maybe someone here can clear up some doubts I have. Can Sia be potentially used for creating a database for publishing files? Our idea is to use the blockchain to host files that is censorship resistant. We work with investigative journalists in countries like Mexico and would like to publish documents that can't be censored. Ideas?

• @cryptoninja said in Using Sia for distributed file publishing:

Hello, maybe someone here can clear up some doubts I have. Can Sia be potentially used for creating a database for publishing files? Our idea is to use the blockchain to host files that is censorship resistant. We work with investigative journalists in countries like Mexico and would like to publish documents that can't be censored. Ideas?

So basically you're looking for a place to host your documents where someone else can't delete them but they can still access them and you're asking if Siacoin can do this? Is that correct?

• Yes, generally speaking. We are looking into using blockchain to develop something like this and would like to know if Sia could be used. If not, do you have any ideas perhaps?

• At Sias present state data stored on the network is accessible only from the owner- the uploading node.
    So whilst the data is safe- it can't be changed or deleted by anyone else, no one else can read it also.
    The developers are working on sharing and disaster recovery but that is not finished yet.

So to answer your question,
    no, not yet,
    but it will be in the future.

• Thank you for the insight. Is there any roadmap, time frame for that? We have developers that might be interested in helping out!

Also, what do you mean by disaster recovery?

• @cryptoninja
    With "disaster recovery" I mean solving the problem of current single point of failure that only the uploader node has access to the data. At present if you lose your node by a system crash, crime or any other reason you lose your data uploaded to the network...
    Backing up the node is not trivial as the node data files change continuously and you can lose your data if you lose the latest revision of the node data (particularly the "current" revision of storage contracts with hosts).
    The resolution of that problem comes together with the possibility of data sharing. Basically rebuilding the access to the uploaded data by some sort of key is the same as sharing data with other Sia users.

In your particular case the needed resilience of data could be accomplished by spawning "independent nodes" from where a website can fetch the files for publishing. Eliminating a node (with read access to shared data) does not eliminate the shared data in contrast to the present state of eliminating the only node with access to the data effectively eliminates the data.

If I look on the roadmap https://trello.com/b/Io1dDyuI/sia-feature-roadmap I see it in the "Medium term" part.
    I do not have details of how far the developers are with the implementation but the "Ability to recover files from an outdated backup of the renter directory" together with "Simple file sharing - Share files with other Sia users" are the features they are focused on now.

• Global Moderator

@cryptoninja this can be done with Sia drive. You can mount Sia like a hard drive and have a vps point to it for the files. But I think you'd have to leave the wallet unlocked leaving your files kind of exposed on the vps.

You could make a dead man script to lock wallet though probably.

Make sure you tag me @bryan if you need to me respond.
    Forum Mod. I cannot fix transactions. I can't help with Mac or Linux.
    alt text
    Unofficial Web Based Siacoin Wallet. No more syncing.

• @cryptoninja Love seeing people hard at work - if Sia doesn't meet your needs for now, try giving IPFS a try (More info on Wikipedia here).

• With "disaster recovery" I mean solving the problem of current single point of failure that only the uploader node has access to the data. At present if you lose your node by a system crash, crime or any other reason you lose your data uploaded to the network...
    Backing up the node is not trivial as the node data files change continuously and you can lose your data if you lose the latest revision of the node data (particularly the "current" revision of storage contracts with hosts).

Can you elaborate on this a little more? Why do "node data files change continuously" - is this because the schema definition of the files is altered with each Sia client release?

Why is backing up the node not trivial?

Can you provide links to external resources?