Wasting resources and NOT uploading



  • I've been running the Sia Windows desktop client successfully since 4/15/2018 both sharing drive space with contracts AND purchasing space from others. I'm sharing 8TB and purchasing about 1TB. I had a 60mb/6mb ISP connection until 2 or 3 weeks ago when I switched ISPs to a 300mb/300mb connection specifically for Sia. After all this time, my 1TB is STILL not fully uploaded. My network connections shows very very little activity with Sia and many times shows ZERO activity for long periods of time.

    According to my calculations, if it were utilizing the full speed of my connection, it should have been don in 22.22 hours. Obviously, I know it's not going to utilize the full speed, but it's been about FIVE WEEKS and it's not done yet. The worst part yet is it appears to not even been trying.

    On top of that, it's pegging my Quadcore 3.5Ghz CPU at 100% and consuming almost all my RAM on my 16GB machine. I couldn't even start Samsung SideSync a few minutes ago due to no memory available (first time I've received that error since I built my PC 2.5 years ago). It also thrashes my hard drive for long periods of time at 60MB/s, all while NOT uploading my data.

    Now, I want to be clear: It IS uploading SOME date at SOME times. Over time, my list of files is slowly turning green in the Sia desktop client and the numbers are slowly, slowly, moving upwards. But with my high speed connection and the 30+ peers I'm connected to, I'd expect it to have been done long ago and at no time would I expect it to remain idol for hours or days at a time when I have an active, wired internet connection.

    Many times I have to use Task Manager to set the affinity to use only 1 core and change the priority to "below normal", just so I can use my PC.

    Are there any steps I can take to get this to finally finish uploading at a reasonable speed and to not consume all my resources. I'm NOT mining.

    And don'e be afraid to get technical with me. I've been a developer since '82 have built countless PCs and many networks. (Not bragging, just letting you know I know what I'm doing (outside the scope of Sia)).

    TIA!


  • Global Moderator

    @PrivateUser
    Can you provide more information?

    • Allowance?
    • Sia version?
    • File count?
    • Approximate average file size?

    Find me on the Official Sia Discord.

    Feel free to donate if I helped you!
    SC: e8f701c1b2b37c8560cd9bbd2ab85e352d27112f51f0cec815a1331dcc2257392f6b53440b4c
    DCR: DsSKZQkB1MZ81o5DtePbmC3swPCzgbtdg6f
    ETH/ETC: 0x5d67690768F0Fc4780c578393Ca567e5bCb38378

    0


  • Allowance: 150 SC
    Renews at Block Height: 162769
    Contract Spending: 680 SC
    Storage Spending: 279.92 SC
    Upload Spending: 17.44 SC
    Download Spending: 0.01 SC

    56 contracts

    Version: 1.3.2
    File Count: 3,672 files, 869 folders
    Total size = 989,219,567,392 bytes (just under 1TB).
    Average files size = 989/3672 = ~268MB.
    Some files are as large as 4.2GB.

    This is a folder containing my home videos.


  • Global Moderator

    @PrivateUser
    Maybe you can try to increase your allowance to see if the upload unstuck itself. If you ran out of allowance, uploads will appear to be stuck.

    For the high CPU usage, I am not too sure what causes it, maybe it is attempting to encrypt your files to prepare for uploading, and dump the file because of failed/stuck uploads, an then start over again. (A bug if true)

    You can also check your log to identify errors.

    FYI, currently Sia performs badly for small files. Files smaller than 40MiB will be padded to 40MiB before being uploaded. (Doesn't seems like an issue for your use case)

    You may be interested in:
    https://blog.spaceduck.io/load-test-1/
    https://blog.spaceduck.io/load-test-2/
    https://blog.spaceduck.io/load-test-3/

    Join the official Discord for faster replies. The devs are there too so they can follow up with your issue if this is a bug.

    Find me on the Official Sia Discord.

    Feel free to donate if I helped you!
    SC: e8f701c1b2b37c8560cd9bbd2ab85e352d27112f51f0cec815a1331dcc2257392f6b53440b4c
    DCR: DsSKZQkB1MZ81o5DtePbmC3swPCzgbtdg6f
    ETH/ETC: 0x5d67690768F0Fc4780c578393Ca567e5bCb38378

    1


  • Thanks. Great links on those tests. I'm experiencing similar degradation over time. I'll get on Discord and ask there.


Log in to reply