recover wallet from ver 0.4.3

• I found an old wallet from ver 0.4.3 on my old Win laptop from 2015. In the sia wallet folder there are three files:

SiaWalletEncryptedBackup-Seed
    Wallet-json
    wallet-log

I found this quote from Taek on BTT forum:

[quote author=Taek link=topic=1060294.msg14344427#msg14344427 date=1459188929]
    [quote author=robinson5 link=topic=1060294.msg14342027#msg14342027 date=1459174965]

Thanks! In mine it's install-dir/resources/app/Sia/ and then what you had.  In /Sia/wallet I have wallet.json, wallet.log, and Sia Wallet Encrypted Backup Seed-____________.Seed.  Do I need to backup all 3? All they all encrypted or just the Encrypted Backup Seed? I don't want to store unencrypted backups.

In addition I was wondering how to check my siafunds address? I have a SiafundAddress_Key0.siakey file but when I open it in text edit it's all gibberish.

Thanks!
    [/quote]

The wallet.json and the encrypted backup seed are both encrypted, [b]you can't open them without the password[/b]. Just backing up the wallet.json is enough, at this point I'm forgetting why there is the '[b]Sia Wallet Encrypted Backup Seed[/b]', I was using it personally at some point but now I don't remember what it was good for.

To check your siafunds, you should import the siakey into the wallet, and then restart 'siad'. The wallet should then be able to display your siafunds balance.
    [/quote]

I'm hoping the password Taek mentions above was user chosen (not like now where seed=password), if that's the case I think I might be able to decrypt the 'Sia Wallet Encrypted Backup Seed-____________.Seed' file and recover my old seed, but not sure what software might do that. My old wallet dates from mid 2016, and sounds like what Taek mentions are the files I have saved on my old laptop.

• Global Moderator

@KLONE
    If you have the seed for that wallet, you can just download the latest version of Sia-UI from the official website and recover your wallet from the seed. I don't know how the old version of Sia-UI manage the wallet file but for the latest version, your wallet file is a wallet.db file located in %APPDATA%\Sia-UI\sia\wallet. You may join the official Sia Discord and ask there since there are more experienced people there that you can ask.

Find me on the Official Sia Discord.

Feel free to donate if I helped you!
    SC: e8f701c1b2b37c8560cd9bbd2ab85e352d27112f51f0cec815a1331dcc2257392f6b53440b4c
    DCR: DsSKZQkB1MZ81o5DtePbmC3swPCzgbtdg6f
    ETH/ETC: 0x5d67690768F0Fc4780c578393Ca567e5bCb38378

• @SandBlock said in recover wallet from ver 0.4.3:

@KLONE
    If you have the seed for that wallet, you can just download the latest version of Sia-UI from the official website and recover your wallet from the seed. I don't know how the old version of Sia-UI manage the wallet file but for the latest version, your wallet file is a wallet.db file located in %APPDATA%\Sia-UI\sia\wallet. You may join the official Sia Discord and ask there since there are more experienced people there that you can ask.

My recollection is when I backed up my seed I used a password of my choice, and if that's true I think I know the one I used. If the password=seed, as it does with the wallet now, then I'm in big trouble.

From memory backing up the wallet was a similar procedure to encrypting a bitcoin wallet.dat, I hope so, I just never recorded any seed, but I can see in the wallet.log I opened and locked it a few times.

I only used the wallet to receive a few transactions, no sending.

• Global Moderator

@KLONE
    By default, the current version of wallet use the seed as the password unless you use a custom password. So it is seed=password by default and not password=seed.

The seed is a combination of 28/29 English words.

Try searching your computer for any wallet.db files. If you can find the file, there is a chance that you can unlock the wallet with the current version of Sia-UI. Or just install the latest version of Sia-UI on that computer to see if it recognise your wallet. The default location of the wallet file for Windows is %APPDATA%\Sia-UI\sia\wallet.

Other than the method above, the only method left is finding out your seed. I don't think there are other method to recover your wallet.

Find me on the Official Sia Discord.

Feel free to donate if I helped you!
    SC: e8f701c1b2b37c8560cd9bbd2ab85e352d27112f51f0cec815a1331dcc2257392f6b53440b4c
    DCR: DsSKZQkB1MZ81o5DtePbmC3swPCzgbtdg6f
    ETH/ETC: 0x5d67690768F0Fc4780c578393Ca567e5bCb38378

• @SandBlock said in recover wallet from ver 0.4.3:

@KLONE
    By default, the current version of wallet use the seed as the password unless you use a custom password. So it is seed=password by default and not password=seed.

The seed is a combination of 28/29 English words.

Try searching your computer for any wallet.db files. If you can find the file, there is a chance that you can unlock the wallet with the current version of Sia-UI. Or just install the latest version of Sia-UI on that computer to see if it recognise your wallet. The default location of the wallet file for Windows is %APPDATA%\Sia-UI\sia\wallet.

Other than the method above, the only method left is finding out your seed. I don't think there are other method to recover your wallet.

I'm hoping in ver 0.4.3 the default was a custom password, I think it was but I'm really worried ... i've asked for help on discord, thanks!