Adding Siacoin to exchanges

• Who would I have to contact about getting Siacoin added to specific exchanges?

• Global Moderator

@AnimaterCreator Who ever is in charge of that exchange.

Make sure you tag me @bryan if you need to me respond.
    Forum Mod. I cannot fix transactions. I can't help with Mac or Linux.
    alt text
    Unofficial Web Based Siacoin Wallet. No more syncing.

• @bryan said in Adding Siacoin to exchanges:

@AnimaterCreator Who ever is in charge of that exchange.

So if I understand this correctly, anyone can contact an exchange and request for them to add Siacoin. No one is in charge of getting Siacoin added to exchanges? Does this have anything to do with Decentralization?

• Global Moderator

@AnimaterCreator I don't think any one person is in charge of exchanges.

alt text

@AnimaterCreator I don't think any one person is in charge of exchanges.

Okay but surely there is a developer who handles these things or that's used for contact correct? Or are you implying that I'd literally have to be the spokesperson for Siacoin to get on an exchange of my choice if I want it added there?

• Global Moderator

@AnimaterCreator No you'd just be a user wanting to expand the exchanges.

alt text

@AnimaterCreator No you'd just be a user wanting to expand the exchanges.

So who do I contact so they can get in contact with the exchanges to get Siacoin added there?

• Similar to traditional stock exchanges, digital currency exchanges are all independently owned and operated. Each exchange is run as a for-profit business, has some sort of business plan, and makes the decision to trade in any particular digital asset (like Sia) according to their own desires and the desires of the people trading on that exchange. If you're a member of an exchange that does not currently trade in a digital asset you'd like to trade in, then you can contact your exchange using whatever means they provide to you, and politely request that they offer your digital asset of choice. If you and enough other people manage are interested in the same digital asset, then the owners/operators of the exchange may decide to add it. But, since exchanges are for-profit businesses and it costs the exchange money to add each digital asset (in the form of programmers to add the asset and update the exchange's website, resources to provide on-going support for the asset, etc), the exchange needs to have enough people interested in a particular digital asset in order to make it profitable to the exchange.

Sia's developers and the developers of other digital currencies are NOT in charge of adding any digital currencies to an exchange. The devs have absolutely no say in the matter. It's totally up to the owners of each exchange. I'm sure the devs are quite happy to assist an exchange if needed, but they can't make an exchange add a digital currency.

Bottom line is that if you want to trade in Sia and your favorite exchange doesn't currently trade in it, then you need to contact your exchange and ask them nicely to add it. If you and enough others want to trade in Sia, then perhaps your exchange will consider eventually adding it. But there's no guarantee and it won't happen overnight.

I hope this clears the matter up a bit.

• @cneeper said in Adding Siacoin to exchanges:

Similar to traditional stock exchanges, digital currency exchanges are all independently owned and operated. Each exchange is run as a for-profit business, has some sort of business plan, and makes the decision to trade in any particular digital asset (like Sia) according to their own desires and the desires of the people trading on that exchange. If you're a member of an exchange that does not currently trade in a digital asset you'd like to trade in, then you can contact your exchange using whatever means they provide to you, and politely request that they offer your digital asset of choice. If you and enough other people manage are interested in the same digital asset, then the owners/operators of the exchange may decide to add it. But, since exchanges are for-profit businesses and it costs the exchange money to add each digital asset (in the form of programmers to add the asset and update the exchange's website, resources to provide on-going support for the asset, etc), the exchange needs to have enough people interested in a particular digital asset in order to make it profitable to the exchange.

Sia's developers and the developers of other digital currencies are NOT in charge of adding any digital currencies to an exchange. The devs have absolutely no say in the matter. It's totally up to the owners of each exchange. I'm sure the devs are quite happy to assist an exchange if needed, but they can't make an exchange add a digital currency.

Bottom line is that if you want to trade in Sia and your favorite exchange doesn't currently trade in it, then you need to contact your exchange and ask them nicely to add it. If you and enough others want to trade in Sia, then perhaps your exchange will consider eventually adding it. But there's no guarantee and it won't happen overnight.

I hope this clears the matter up a bit.

Now that's the answer I was looking for!

https://streamable.com/ee2sm