Sia vs. Storj vs. MaidSAFE

• admins

@Taek "As far as I'm aware, a global decentralized reputation system is not possible, or at least modern science doesn't understand how to do it."

I thought about it a lot more, and I now have some good ideas for places to get started. It's not a problem we intend to solve in the next year, but maybe in the next two we'll be able to put in something that resembles a reliable decentralized automated reputation system.

• "but the goals, design, and approaches of IPFS make it a significantly different "

how, in what ways?

• @sonicman said in Sia vs. Storj vs. MaidSAFE:

"but the goals, design, and approaches of IPFS make it a significantly different "
    how, in what ways?

http://forum.sia.tech/topic/102/sia-vs-ipfs

• Hi Taek,

Nice product and thanks for the comparison.

In this news, Storj is going for Ethereum:
    http://www.coindesk.com/storj-migrate-decentralized-storage-service-ethereum-blockchain/

Seems that brings 2 advantages to them:

1. make up the lack of smart contract for Storj
    2. ether is widely used and many businesses may build on Ethereum

I have Ether and Siacoin, and am familiar with the system. But for most of people, using Siacoin to pay and get-paid may be a bit of inconvenient.

Do you have any thought about this?

• Yeah, I just saw that too on Storj's recent blog post:

Three weeks ago we [Storj] announced our migration from Counterparty to the Ethereum platform. When we first considered making the move, we were primarily concerned with providing an improved user experience via access to better wallets and tools.

It would be nice to have more wallet options for Sia, especially mobile wallets. But this looks like it could be a ways down the road.

What stood out to me more though was this section of the same blog:

Dead Simple File Storage - Hundreds of people have requested this, and we’re excited to make this dream come true. For the past several months we’ve been working with a partner with a massive install base to create a graphical user interface for Storj. We expect to announce this partnership very soon.

So far only Sia has a GUI for clients. I'll be interested to see how the Storj GUI looks and performs. Still think I'll like Sia best.

• admins

So far only Sia has a GUI for clients. I'll be interested to see how the Storj GUI looks and performs. Still think I'll like Sia best.

Knowing them, it'll probably have pretty good design. But, I think really important to distinguish (at least at this point) that Storj is not a decentralized or trustless platform. If the Storj company were to disappear, hosts would stop getting paid, and most users would be unable to recover their files. The fact that Storj is a required middleman for any of the payouts to work should be a huge red flag.

It would be nice to have more wallet options for Sia, especially mobile wallets. But this looks like it could be a ways down the road.

We are more focused on getting the core platform running better. Mainly, we want to see

• ability to delete local files after uploading
    • ability to restore files from a backup you made months ago
    • ability to share files between Sia users

After we have those things, we'll take a step back and decide what the next moves are.

• Storj is not a decentralized or trustless platform.

Yeah, I noticed that too and didn't like that about Storj.

We are more focused on getting the core platform running better.

Yes, the points you listed are far more urgent. Wallets can wait :)

• ...not to forget the newest kid on the block, FileCoin and it's massie ICO:

https://www.coindesk.com/257-million-filecoin-breaks-time-record-ico-funding/