Siacoin question

• I have several questions regarding siacoin I was not able to see online without reading code. If somebody answer it will be great.

1. Do you have file size limitation still? >40MB? Any upper bound?
    2. Do you upload my file to one host. I mean when I enter to contract agreement I have only one copy? Right? Or 2 or even 3 copies? Can I control number of copies I create?
    3. If I upload 3 copies of the file if any way to say to network to control live of my file? If one host will go down forever can network detect it and allocate another host to my file? Other words I want to upload files and have 5x redundancy and network should handle this - not me as a network client. If network detect the host is down it suppose to allocate another host to my data.

It will be useful for lifetime backups.

• Global Moderator

@mavrii Everything you upload is 3x redundancy. I think the file limit is still the same. If you wanted it to be x5 you could upload it twice and get 6x redundancy. They are not stored on the same hosts. It will be a large group of hosts holding bit of each file.

Make sure you tag me @bryan if you need to me respond.
    Forum Mod. I cannot fix transactions. I can't help with Mac or Linux.
    alt text
    Unofficial Web Based Siacoin Wallet. No more syncing.

• Thank you.

3x is good. But if the one of the 3 hosts holding my file go down forever does network allocate another host for me?

For example:

• I upload file to host A,B,C.
    • Host A go down forever.
    • Does network detect it and allocate new host D for me and transfer data automatically from B,C -> D. Is it already implemented?

I am asking because sooner or later all host will go down. It should be a method to check and restore redundancy.

• @mavrii
    To maintain the redundancy of your files your node needs to be online.
    As the one and only entity knowing anything about your files is your node from where you upload the files.
    "The network" as such does not know a thing about your files, where they are stored or how to reconstruct them to restore the redundancy.

I think there is no significant difference if your node comes up and checks (restores if needed) the redundancy once a month, a week or every day. It should go online regularly to renew the storage contracts anyway. At least when half of the contract duration has passed.

• Got it. Thank you. If I miner I usually have full node online. But from user perspective it is not really good. If I user I want to do backup to the chain, load up it with siacoins and forget about it for 20 years. I think it is possible to implement contract to ask miners to check and restore redundancy. This is main problem for traditional backups - you have to check them and you have to maintain them.

• @mavrii
    Technically it would be possible (it is not yet on Sia network). But there needs to be someone (node) doing the checks. And that means you effectively delegate your privacy to that node...
    So, there are at least two problems:

1. You give the control of your data (and allow to spend your coins) over to someone else;
    2. You need to know the location of your data when you want to download it.

The second problem would be solved when restoring file access (contracts) from seed is implemented.
    The first one is a "political and risky" decision. - Again, you give away access to your data and allow someone else to spend your money. And, as you have no control on the other nodes, you can't be sure that the node you trust to do the maintenance will be online and doing the work forever exactly for the same reason you can't be sure the data holding nodes will be there when needed...
    There will be companies doing that for sure. You will have the possibility to hand your data over to someone who stores it on Sia network and does the maintenance for you. The Sia network is just not mature for such use on massive scale yet. The "Restore files from seed" feature is one critical missing feature holding this use back.