Suggestions for Siacoin to grow and become popular

• Advertise this hosting service to users through online marketing channels.

• Inviting companies to try the service

• Introduce ways to make money with Siacoin through split storage. Developing, underdeveloped countries are good targets.

• Looking for big investors

• Constantly updated to optimize the system

• Bring news to major newspapers when Siacoin has a big event

Love SC to top 5

• SC's prices are currently low. Trading volume has decreased. I just hope there is something that raises the price again. Other members may suggest more ideas

Love SC to top 5

• Please stop the price and volume down
    alt text

Love SC to top 5

• May I offer a suggestion on Marketing?

Taking into consideration the whole "Filecoin" suggestion that the word "File" in its name actually helps in spreading the word about the possible new product, what about updating Sia to SiaStorage and alter the current logo. Keep the same logo but add a little something to it for the word Storage.

I have a bit of marketing background and I do agree with a comment I saw that people around the world cannot associate Sia with its mission. SiaStorage will help with this. You really don't need to have "coin" in the name other than appealing to those who know cryptocurrency (a minuscule amount of the population).

I'm in Sia for the long haul -- I have few hundred thousand coins; I mine it now; I'm a host; and I've purchased the Obelisk. I want Sia to succeed and I think the team backing it is doing their part to make it a great project.

I'll help anyway I can.

• SC should cooperate with cloud storage companies. SC should have VPS services and hosting. If good quality, cheap imitation, many users. I look forward to change.

Love SC to top 5

• Devs.... You have money problems... Also, the network isn't gaining traction quick enough... This is my suggestions to fix BOTH issues, as it strikes at the heart of the issue which you need to address... Wide scale adoption / funding for development

1. Remove the requirement for payment from a contract so that the following fields can be set to zero, "Price per TB per Month (SC)", "Bandwidth Price (SC/TB)" - or add some option to the interface to "Donate Space'. The ultimate result of this should be akin to the creation of "Free" 5 GB of space that dropbox offers. This would be totally voluntary and I am sure would get wide spread acceptance by the community.

2. Add an option to Donate proceeds to the Dev team checkbox in addition to the above "Free option". This could be your ticket to solving your funding issues, as I am sure 50% of the SIA adopters wouldn't mind ponying up some space that can be used to generate funds for the development teams as well as adding a real world catalyst that SIA supporters can participate in the actual actions necessary to make SIA successful.

3. The addition of a option to use a Cloud Connector that can broker the communication between a host and a user would offer an alternative to opening ports on the host and be instrumental at garnering supporting storage space from the layman. This needs to be as simple as possible, and even for a IT professional, I have been putting this off due to security concerns with opening ports into my home network.

4. Create an exclusive SIA exchange with the specific purpose of exchanging currencies for the cost of storage space. This is going to be critical, as the average person, once they surpass the "Free" space limit, is not going to go open a account at an exchange, pay for bitcoin, exchange said bitcoin for SIA, send said SIA back to their wallet, and then pay for their space. This process needs to be 1 step, and it must be widely available on the fly. A Micro exchange would be the catalyst for this project to be a success.

Lastly, It would be nice to see one of the Dev's respond on here to see that people are actually looking at this forum. Please give your thoughts and feel free to add to it should anyone have any additional Ideas. This is a great idea, and all it is waiting for is the right presentation explode. I hope you will take these suggestions under consideration.

Best,
    Rizz

• I still do not see the Siacoin representative answering in this topic. Please listen to us.

Love SC to top 5

• I don't think the devs are short on ideas, they are short on manpower...

• Global Moderator

I can assure you are are reading all this, and we understand many of you have purchased Siacoin and want to see us make an incredible amount of progress in a very short period of time. We are very happy with how things are going so far, and with each release we make huge improvements to the network. Please make sure you read the triannual update (https://blog.sia.tech/sia-may-august-2017-update-8929f21c56f7) to understand our progress in the last 4 months. Our growth has been huge.

With regard to more marketing and such, it would not make sense to advertise a service that is not ready for primetime yet. We are still 2-3 years of everyone else in the decentralized storage space, but Sia is not ready to be downloaded and used by average users. While many projects spend their resources on ads, we spend ours on development.

With regards to a free option, this goes against everything we stand for. Sia is a decentralized storage network, which means there are no middlemen or trusted third parties. We are not going to cut corners by adding a centralized layer that subsidizes storage on the network, or some kind of free option that compromises security.

We are making really fast progress, and have a very aggressive roadmap! We will get there, but we are not going to cut corners.

• @zherbert said in Suggestions for Siacoin to grow and become popular:

ith regard to more marketing and such, it would not make sense to advertise a service that is not ready for primetime yet. We are still 2-3 years of everyone else in the decentralized storage space, but Sia is not ready to be downloaded and used by average users. While many projects spend their resour

Salutations zherbert, Thank you for the response. However, please explain your rationalization as to how giving a limited free option 1. Goes against everything you stand for? 2. How creating a limited "free option" would do anything but assist in securing the network by building adoption?

From an outside point of view if anything this would be driven by how much the Hosts wish to provide for "free" and would serve as a huge bonus for drawing familiarity and ultimately large data consumers into the fold. If there is a technical reason why this cannot work I am sure many of us on here would love to hear it. There is a reason companies like VMWARE, Citrix, Microsoft, and many other software companies give away limited use products - it builds brand confidence and market share through accessibility.

On a Final note, when you say "With regards to a free option, this goes against everything we stand for. " It makes you guys sound like tyrants in the harshest interpretation and at the very least not open to new ideas. You cannot say it goes against everything "we" stand for, when you have no idea what the opinion of those who support, and provide the resources to the system have on the subject. In a manner of speaking you guys are crafting the pick-axe(the software), the community by large are the ones mining the gold (the currency ) and providing the finished product - Storage(Hosts) One part does not work without the other. You should at the very least crowd source an idea before swatting it down and definitely avoid speaking on behalf of the community as a whole. This isn't a dictatorship and if you guys see it as such this project will ultimately fail.

With that said, Thank you for everything you do and continue to do to push the product forward.

Thank you for your response, I look forward to you clarifying at your earliest convenience.

Best,
    Rizz

• My take on SiaCoin as a complete newcomer to it.

I laughed like a loon as I sold off my original CPU mined BTC at $7 each. I try not to think about this too much - and have another few decades of work ahead of me.
    Inspired by BTC, we got a shit-load of "blockchain based currencies" that have sprung up after BTC, all saying "we'll be the next one".
    Well frankly they can't be. A few technical deviations between them is interesting, but not going to shift anything.
    BTC is the "gold standard" - except unlike gold you can't even use it to make pretty or useful things. It relies on people thinking it has worth, and the tortuous process for most of us of converting it to/from real world money.

So, whoever wants to be next has to offer something demonstrably interesting and different.

I think SiaCoin is different.
    I like the idea of the currency being associated with something that's actually useful to consume.
    I pay google actual money each month for my cloud storage. I would like not to have to do this.
    I've used Resilio and the like to allow my non-tech family to share photos and the like. Distributed storage is quite easy for people to accept, if it's simply "install this app and enter this code" and you can see your grand-daughter's photos.

Where SiaCoin (to me at least) is f'ing up completely is by separating the two aspects that make the currency unique, to a degree of major user annoyance.
    I came across you last week and installed SiaUI. I was looking forward to using you for cloud storage. erm could I? NOPE.

Problems:

1. First off the sync time is stupid.
      Cache a daily consensus.db and just dump that to each new client install ( I trust you not to poison it).
      There is NO UX paradigm to entice new users that involves "installing it and then running your PC overnight before you can actually do anything"
    2. "Yay, I'm synced and wish to start offering/using distributed storage!"
      What happens next? Well seemingly I need 500 coins to get a payout from mining to consume and 2000 coins to offer..
      How do I get these? Well I have to mine for a week or two...installs and stares at Marlin
      As it stands I've got another few days to wait until I can actually "use" Sia, and therefore appreciate any difference between this and any other random blockchain thing.

My suggestion would be to combine the miner and the cloud storage app into a single entity - with an easy mechanism to buy Sia with paypal or something right upfront.
    Basically tell people they need to pay upfront for storage they want now - but then they can manage their ongoing storage by letting the miner run in the background.

If I had to sum it all up, it would be to position Siacoin not as a "cryptocurrency" - but as a cloud storage provider, that can pay for itself as long as you approve some GPU access.

• Or more simply, just have an app people can install, that creates a shared folder ( like google drive/drop box/One Drive/whatever) - and by default nothing syncs.
    If people wish to sync, just let them spend disk space, CPU - or some easy mechanism to buy Siacoin directly. All from your public facing app.
    Basically back to my point in OP, that you have the potential to get a load more buy-in from the vast majority of "people with computers" by presenting as a storage service, rather than yet another cryptocurrency.