Decentralized Data region/country specific

• Does anyone know if sia offers customers the ability to chose either a specific region or country when storing their data. I'm thinking about governments for example who require data held in their own country, or for example the EU Safe Harbour data agreement.

• There is nothing implemented at this point.

Whitelisting hosts would be the easiest way.

--
    SiaMining.com -- Your PPS Sia Pool.
    I'm not affiliated or work on the Sia/Nebulous team.

• Something perhaps for the future.

• Global Moderator

@spearmint_man In this case currently data has to be stored locally and on the network so you'd technically be storing it in the correct country. Only encrypted backup would be stored offsite.

Make sure you tag me @bryan if you need to me respond.
    Forum Mod. I cannot fix transactions. I can't help with Mac or Linux.
    alt text
    Unofficial Web Based Siacoin Wallet. No more syncing.

• Yeah that approach won't be sufficient for EU governments and some countries government needs. A white list would work if UI/HCI was improved in future. But I think if Sia is enterprise based and is interested in Gov for example, where data resides is often a sticking point. I know for my employers, regardless of encryption etc.. there is a genuine need to choose where data resides. This may seem counter the raison d'ĂȘtre of decentralisedness that Sia subscribes too. But I think its something worth considering.

• Global Moderator

@spearmint_man I really don't think governments will choose to use SIA because of the potential to have their data stored side by side with possible illegal content. And with proxy services a host could just say that they're in a location that they aren't.

Make sure you tag me @bryan if you need to me respond.
    Forum Mod. I cannot fix transactions. I can't help with Mac or Linux.
    alt text
    Unofficial Web Based Siacoin Wallet. No more syncing.

• @spearmint_man

It has been considered and pointed out before.

However Sia is not ready for prime time yet. Many features are still being added.

The one you mention, as you have pointed out, goes against the decentralized method of Sia itself.

Finally, I can't imagine any government agency with essentially unlimited money and how many of their own private datacenters, is going to worry about using something like Sia.

--
    SiaMining.com -- Your PPS Sia Pool.
    I'm not affiliated or work on the Sia/Nebulous team.