How to get balance on your Sia coin wallet w/o installing a wallet?

• In other words, is there a way to get my wallet balance having my public key?

• Global Moderator

@dy2017 I'm not sure what you mean by public key. If you didn't install the wallet then you do not have a wallet.

Make sure you tag me @bryan if you need to me respond.
    Forum Mod. I cannot fix transactions. I can't help with Mac or Linux.

• No. I do have a wallet. But say, I installed it on one computer and then I need to check the balance from another computer? Or, if the first OS gets reinstalled, etc.

• Global Moderator

@dy2017 you just need the wallet password or the wallet file.

• What "wallet file" are you talking about?

• Global Moderator

@dy2017 if you're using Windows it will be a folder named wallet in appdata.

• @bryan OK. I just tested it. That is not true.

To get the balance on your Sia coin wallet you don't need to install the wallet itself. Simply go to the mining pool with your public key and it will show it. For instance:
    siamining.com/addresses/{public_key}

• @dy2017
    SiaMining can't know your balance. For instance, they can't know how much you have spent or if you have received SC from someone else. The only sum SiaMining can know (and knows) is the sum SiaMining have paid you for your submitted shares. And the only situation where the information on SiaMining website shows your balance is if you have ever received coins only from SiaMining and you have not spent or transferred any SC.

• @reinisp OK, that is true. It will show your mining balance only.

Well, what other method do you propose (aside from waiting for half a day to install the wallet)?

• @dy2017
    I'm afraid, I don't know any other ways to check your balance other than having a wallet (node), with fully synced blockchain and having an initialised and unlocked wallet.
    So, for someone (or any automated system) to be able to see your balance your seed is needed. But I do not recommend to tell your seed to anyone.

• @reinisp Oh, so it's by design, isn't it? Hmm, that's interesting. Other blockchains (BTC, ETH) use public key to look up account balances. But Sia uses private key, doesn't it?

• Global Moderator

@dy2017 they're all private only btc and eth have web wallets and sia does not.

• You cant get balance without wallet.

You need at least all of your addresses to check through explorer.
    siac wallet addresses
    But in this case need programmatically calculate it :)

Each hash have own private key(child of your seed's private key), so by one hash you cant get balance for whole wallet.
    By one address you cant only get info for this hash, but not balance - only incoming SC(siacoin output).
    https://explorer.siahub.info/hash/74bcd1f128173cb420264c2d4126e40cdebecf22d2eaa987116f86a6ceeb79612c2cacc8d93a

• Also needed the ability to check a wallet's balance without the client running.

Put together a simple balance checker: http://siacoin.herokuapp.com

The tool utilizes raw tx data from explore.sia.tech. Here's the source: https://github.com/charleyhine/siabalance/blob/master/app/models/check.rb

Try pasting in your wallet's addresses (from the Sia-UI Terminal run wallet addresses)

Seems to be working for me.

• Global Moderator

@chax But that would only show how much was sent to that address not how much is in the wallet?

• @bryan Incorrect. It shows the current balance of SC for all addresses provided.

• Global Moderator

@chax So if you put two address from the same wallet it would show the same balance? Pretty cool man. Keep up the good work.

• @chax yeah, works really well and sure beats installing the full wallet. Thanks.

• @chax
    The idea is good. But not works for me...
    My special case is- there is only one "incoming" transaction, all others are outgoing.
    if I put an address from my addresses list, it shows balance 0.
    If I put all my addresses from that wallet, it processes the list for ~10sec and shows near to real but not the exact balance which is shown in my wallet (~3KS less than shown by wallet).