Negative experience of SIA hosting and warning against it

• I wrote a reply to the blog post on how to setup a Sia host. But as seen there was no reply, here's a repost of my experience.

I strongly advise everyone against trying Sia hosting. WARNING this is NOT for hobbyists. Unless you’re 100% committed for the long term and you can be certain you won’t have any down time, Sia hosting will cost you.

I have a machine I never use with some spare GBs and thought I’d rent it to Sia users so I setup a host a few weeks ago using Sia-UI. I had to buy Sia crypto in order to unlock hosting and start to accept ‘contracts’. Fine, I bought 2200 Sia and set it up with the default settings and left it.

A couple of weeks on, I have 2 contracts (with a potential payment of 3Sia!!) and Sia currency keeps being deducted from my wallet, with no reason given! I believe it’s because my host has gone down. However, there are no notifications other than a small note in the interface saying ‘Host Unreachable’. I have no idea why it’s unreachable as all other network software works perfectly fine. Including Storj, which is setup on the same machine.

After noticing that there’s a problem, which I’m unable to fix, I tried to stop ‘Accepting contracts’ only to realise that I have been hooked into something I can’t get out of. Sia’s WARNING: ‘Stop accepting contracts? You must keep Sia-UI open until the existing contracts have expired otherwise you will lose collateral.’

Great, so now I have to keep Sia-UI open, despite being unreachable, meaning that I will lose collateral one way or another.

Well done Sia developers for a trap well designed.

Now how do I get out of it?

• Global Moderator

@vHost I think you have to complete your agreed hosting term or lose all of your collateral. Hopefully someone here will be able to help you get your host reachable again.

I don't think the trap is intentional. They're making plenty of money without scamming. I think the price jump had everyone convinced (myself included) that it was fully ready. The surge of users I think was good for the project but it showed a lot of problems faster than they can or wanted to fix.

Make sure you tag me @bryan if you need to me respond.
    Forum Mod. I cannot fix transactions. I can't help with Mac or Linux.
    alt text
    Unofficial Web Based Siacoin Wallet. No more syncing.

• @vHost
    good points- and these same points I made a month ago. However, just so we are clear. The SC coming out of your wallet was the collateral amount. This basically is your own coins covering the cost of use by the renter. I have heard this is returned when the contract ends- or a portion of it can be burned as well to prove your a real host (???). At any rate its collateral deductions.
    I have not heard from anyone who has indicated they would get this collateral back.. but also if someone has thousands of contracts.. how exactly are they to keep up with the collateral coming back to them?
    There is a command of host -v that can be used ot track the locked and lost collateral amounts, but there is no connector as to how these amounts are derived- they JUST ARE.

At any rate. I actually enjoy seeing these posts because they confirm what I said over a month ago and people said I was promoting FUD.

Well well well... I can actually sit back and say "I TOLD SIA SO" (in a non gloating manner).

Unofficial User / Tester / Analyst of Sia ( w/Renter and Host experience)

• @bryan
    Intent is a very hard thing to prove. Its the same thing that kept Bill Clinton from being impeached and the same thing that let OJ Simpson walk free.
    Ultimately I believe you will continue to see more and more stories like this- or no stories at all and these hosts will just disappear. The risk of that means renters will not even bother. So Sia is not operating with good vision. because without people willing to HOST in a comfortable UI.. there is no Sia and the ASIC miners are pointless. Which in the end will equate to a 4 letter word that starts with an S.

This reminds me of the Titanic movie.. you can see the iceberg, but its too damn late to change course.

• @bryan **What's most confusing to me is that the Sia-UI obviously managed to connect to the network to get the 2 contracts and then without any change of my part, it stopped being able to connect. And it started deducting collateral. ** Can you explain this behaviour? Also where does the collateral go to? To you guys?

I think, and this may be a crazy idea, but perhaps users should be warned when they first launch the app of the requirements of hosting and the consequences if they do not meet those requirements.

Also when you are making deductions from a user wallet's, the polite thing to do is to explain why. And I don't just mean it to say that it's a collateral deduction. That much we can guess. I mean it should explain the period of time that the host was down for and the price for it.

Also, the collateral being deducted seems to be for the full GB despite me being hosting only a couple of contracts that are a few kilobytes in size. The penalty for my disconnected host seems quite disproportionate to the amount of data I'm actually hosting.

You guys seem to have put a lot of effort into the design but have not though through the user experience, particularly coming from someone who knows nothing about it. I read in other posts that there is documentation out there. But when you create a GUI, you can't expect people to go read the documentation first. Since my post, I noticed that there are lots of hosts with connection issues and advice to open ports in routers. It's baffling that you have to fiddle with the router in today's day and age.

I was excited about being able to contribute to a decentralized cloud service. Needless to say that I am beyond disappointed, no only with the software, with the monetary loss but mainly by the lack of support you provide.

Punishment, fines and fear will never work as an incentive if you want a growing thriving community. You will just alienate users who will become your worse enemies. You can ignore my experience and advice at your own peril.

• @vHost
    Crazy idea to warn users?
    Polite to explain why deductions are made?

Yea those are crazy thoughts.... Sia will banish you entirely for such talk LOL
    They did to me for making the same claims. Keep it up buddy haha

i dont think bryan is to blame for this IMO

• @moorsc0de Now I can't edit my post, it's flagged as spam. F*ck you SIA.

• @vHost Could just be they want this to stay up.. the comments are valid.

I hate to say it
    :"BUT I told everyone about this".... But rather than beat em.. I just encourage people to get in the system to experience it for themselves.

• @moorsc0de My host now says it has 4 contracts, despite the fact that it still says it's unreachable! This software is a JOKE. What a bunch of cowboys.

And by the way SIA ports are open and reachable from the outside, I just checked but Sia-UI is obviously buggy.

• @moorsc0de F*ck me! I reverted SIa-UI to the previous version (1.2.1) and it managed to connect straight away. WTF is going on? The latest version is obviously buggy. I want my money back!

• @vHost
    Now you understood how I felt 7-8 weeks ago.

• Global Moderator

@vHost I don't work for SIA. I just moderate the forum and provide help where I can. I've never hosted because Comcast cannot provide more than 45% uptime. I'm more on the mining side. I did lose quite a bit of coins trying to rent but learned very quickly that it wasn't ready.

alt text

• @bryan Can you not send this to the developers? Will they read this or are they so arrogant to not care about serious problems in their software?

• Global Moderator

@vHost they probably don't have time while they're trying to work. You can tag them like @Taek . I'd suggest you bring it up in slack. Though I doubt it's new information to them.

alt text

• @Taek can you please feedback on this post? Major bug found.

• @vHost Bro this was communicated weeks back! LMAO
    I dont think you understand. I was banned on reddit and the slack for the stuff I was revealing.

• @moorsc0de said in Negative experience of SIA hosting and warning against it:

@vHost Bro this was communicated weeks back! LMAO
    I dont think you understand. I was banned on reddit and the slack for the stuff I was revealing.

You weren't banned for what you were revealing. You were banned for your terrible behavior towards other members.

--
    SiaMining.com -- Your PPS Sia Pool.
    I'm not affiliated or work on the Sia/Nebulous team.

• I'm not going to engage the foolery.. the last time I did- it was used against me. This post is about a Negative Experience with Sia. So hopefully we can keep it focused on that.

I haven't targeted anything except the Sia interface.
    The more you ppl target me, the more they expose the lack of addressing the REAL SIA issues that people (including myself) have been complaining about and been openly transparent about.

• @moorsc0de said in Negative experience of SIA hosting and warning against it:

I'm not going to engage the foolery.. the last time I did- it was used against me. \

Clarification of facts is hardly targeting. Here is a friendly rememider of the actual statement regarding your ban:

taek
    [4:28 AM]
    That's enough. @moorsc0de you've crossed the line a few times, and I've granted you leniency specifically because you are critical of Sia, but you are being rude and intentionally damaging our community

The more you ppl target me, the more they expose the lack of addressing the REAL SIA issues that people (including myself) have been complaining about and been openly transparent about.

Yes, and the there are ONLY 3 devs. There's other problems that require their attention.

@vHost The easiest way to reach the devs about this is to file a bug report. Head to github, and give information. Then you can work with them directly. There is a lot mess in the forums and the devs are simply unable to sift through every post due to time.

--
    SiaMining.com -- Your PPS Sia Pool.
    I'm not affiliated or work on the Sia/Nebulous team.

• @xurious I'm afraid I don't care enough about the project to file a bug report.

News alert: I never signed up for beta testing.

I've lost money for no fault of my own and I'm so alienated with SIA right now that I just want the project to fail. If you, the devs, whoever, doesn't want to or doesn't have the resources to take the info I posted here, it's your own problem and a sign you've tried to bite into more than you can chew.

• @vHost Agreed - Consumers should not be the built in testing function of Sia. Many of us (including self) have obliged in that, and in return targeted as problems or "crossing lines".
    smh