Contratulations SIA: now over 700 hosts and a HUGE jump to 2,8 PetaByte!

• ..on the 26th we saw this high jump of one extra Petabyte added to the network - some big player must have joined.
    -> http://siahub.info/network

Maintaining our #6 position on the HighScoreslist
    -> https://www.coingecko.com/en
    despite a very volatile time for the coin, where we saw double digits ups and downs in a matter of a few days.

On the number of hosts side it is a up 100% in less than a month!!

• There's nothing stopping someone from spoofing the additional space.

As an example: My host shows 5TB total space, but it's thin provisioned. The actual VM is only consuming about 50gb.

--
    SiaMining.com -- Your PPS Sia Pool.
    I'm not affiliated or work on the Sia/Nebulous team.

• Thanks @larsfloe, and absolutely correct, @xurious!

BTW: here's the petabyte, in the Netherlands.

• "collateral: 1000"
    "maxcollateral: 5000"
    "storageprice: 750"

They will run out of money well before that disk space is used

• @2xjO9M3P not likely, given that their storage utilization is growing very slowly because of the expensive price point!

Also the total used storage in the network is around 32TB, that would only lock 32k SC, wouldn't it? Though it could easily be more if there are many renters each reserving 1TB, but still... probably not off by many factors... today.

• A more practical issue that there isn't enough other hosts on the network to cover the redundancy needed to fill 1PB on a single host.

Soon though.. soon...

--
    SiaMining.com -- Your PPS Sia Pool.
    I'm not affiliated or work on the Sia/Nebulous team.

• @maol I was thinking more along the lines that the hoster doesn't have enough collateral to be awarded enough contracts to actually fill the storage they're offering.
    If I understand the system and the reporting on siahub right, they already put up 1000 SC to host 100GB, if the hoster only has 5000 as max collateral, they won't be able to store more than 500GB before running out of collateral.

@xurious very good point, too.

• @2xjO9M3P said in Contratulations SIA: now over 700 hosts and a HUGE jump to 2,8 PetaByte!:

If I understand the system and the reporting on siahub right, they already put up 1000 SC to host 100GB, if the hoster only has 5000 as max collateral, they won't be able to store more than 500GB before running out of collateral.

It's my understanding that the max collateral defines how much the hoster is willing to give to a single renter. I.e. in this case a single renter can have up to 5 contracts at 1k SC each, for a total of 5TB. FYI here's my setup. Siahub doesn't tell us their setting for collateral budget, does it?

collateral:       1000 SC / TB / Month
    collateralbudget: 150 KS
    maxcollateral:    6 KS Per Contract

• @maol I see your point. I stand corrected. Got Max collateral and Collateral budget mixed up.