Will x16 to x16 riser be needed to still use computer normally?

• Ok so im building this from my current machine with a 990fxa-ud5 board and i got 2 r9 290. it heats up like ive never seen doing this. i want to migrate this to an open air rig but still be able to game on it with crosfire for about 3-4 hrs a day. would i use x16 riseres fro the rig or will the powered 1x to x16 riseres work for gaming too on mining down time?

• Global Moderator

@Vodkanakas I looked up the board and with just two cards you don't really need to run risers. All you need is some good extra fan power to blow the heat away. I think that crossfire is irrelevant on most motherboards now. I'd use a 16x to 16x if I was gonna do gaming. It won't hurt anything. They're just ugly. You also may not be able to game and mine at the same time.

Make sure you tag me @bryan if you need to me respond.
    Forum Mod. I cannot fix transactions. I can't help with Mac or Linux.
    alt text
    Unofficial Web Based Siacoin Wallet. No more syncing.

• well im having issues with heat they max out and throttle @ 95C which cuts my hash in half. i was hoping to set it up in a frame with a fan and seperate them furthur then the 1/8 in that they are now lol

• Global Moderator

@Vodkanakas I found the sweet spot for my 290s to be at 84-85C. Two of my 290s even at open air I have to under clock to 27 mhs. Every card has a different maximum overclock for mining. I have two running at 32 mhs hitting 84C and two running at 27mhs at 84C. But really just take the side panel off and point a big house fan at it.

alt text

• @bryan are you saying to underclock the mhz of the 290? doesnt that give less mh/s?

• Global Moderator

@Vodkanakas Yes it would give less mh/s but it would be stable with less heat. When it over heats you'll start losing mh/s either way and eventually come to blue screen.

alt text

• @bryan Ok thanks gonna tweak the clock to get a cooler run

• Global Moderator

@Vodkanakas you might also be able to set the fans at 100% all the time if you don't mind the noise.

alt text

• @bryan Fans at 100%, core voltage at -100mv(that what msi afterburner says lol) 86C is highest card and core clock and hash rate stayed the same. Watt draw droped 50 as well. Thanks so much for the advice. Feeling way better with this as the results have been steady for that last couple of hours. this room is getting hot though but temps staying the same lol.

• Global Moderator

@Vodkanakas glad to help. Yeah my house AC runs like crazy because of the miners. Bedrooms are freezing but the living rooms are 80 degrees lol.

alt text

• Probably the one thing I didn't really expect to be a problem was living with the heat a mining rig can produce. Especially in the summer.

• Global Moderator

@Driver I suggest a secondary a.c. Just for them.

alt text

• Yeah the heat didn't really affect it too much after undervolting. Got to about 92c with an open air frame and a fan right on it. All we have was fans the a.c. sucks and the cooler is broken lol but the worst is over hopefully now.