How to backup and restore the wallet?

• figures I just finished copying over the 40 gigs . Ohh well ill start it over again from scratch. for future reference, what is the gateway folder for ?

• Don't take my word for it. Just what I would do.

• So I guess the next question is, where is the block chain files stored? Can they be backed up / restored when updating / upgrading so you don't have to wait for hours to resync?

• The block chain files are stored in <sia folder>/resources/app/Sia/consensus folder, and it worked for me when I restored to another pc.

• Global Moderator

@tomahawkeer said:

So I guess the next question is, where is the block chain files stored? Can they be backed up / restored when updating / upgrading so you don't have to wait for hours to resync?

@mg answered the first question. For the second, it depends. Some upgrades in the past have required that you re-sync, some not. It depends which changes are introduced in the new Sia versions, whether they break the consensus file somehow or not. If you are not upgrading, however, and merely moving your Sia installation from one location to another, then simply copying over the /consensus folder works just fine.

• Got it all copied worked like a charm

• Good to hear! If you don't mind adding a few notes what upgrade method definitely didn't work, and which one did, that might be useful as a future reference for others.

• Just copying over the json file wasn't enough. My problem was that I started the client before copying the blockchain and hosted data back over. Actually it was copying while I started the new client the first time.

I would recommend making sure you copy EVERYTHING first. Json file, blockchain, and hosted stuff prior to ever starting the new client.,