How to backup and restore the wallet?

• Hi
    I would like to know witch is the best practice to backup/restore the wallet (Sia UI v. 0.5.1) in order to move it to another computer.

I tried to create a new wallet to a new setup using my previous wallet seed but it ask me for a password which I never gave it before.

Then I tried to restore the whole wallet folder for my previous setup (I deleted first the existing) but also this has a locked status and again asked me for a password.

• I would appreciate if someone could give me some advice

• Simply copying the wallet.json file over should do it. The passphrase it asks for is probably the same as your multi-word wallet seed.

• Thanks for your help in-cred-u-lous , you unstuck me !

• Is there a good procedure to follow to update the wallet / client? Seems you also have to copy over all the data you are hosting as well? Is there going to be an "updater" eventually released with new versions? I have about 40 gigs of data hosted, so it takes a bit to copy that over, although nowhere near as long as it would take if I had to re-sync with other clients over the internet.

• Global Moderator

@tomahawkeer said:

Is there a good procedure to follow to update the wallet / client? Seems you also have to copy over all the data you are hosting as well? Is there going to be an "updater" eventually released with new versions? I have about 40 gigs of data hosted, so it takes a bit to copy that over, although nowhere near as long as it would take if I had to re-sync with other clients over the internet.

Yes, there is an auto-updater planned. Taek outlined just yesterday the release schedule for the coming months. It went like this (quote):

@Taek said (on Slack):

We're trying to figure that out. 052 should be ready tonight. Then 060 for the host/renter upgrades. Then 061 for another round of gateway changes.
    062 should feature some wallet changes, and an auto-upgrade process for the daemon.
    Then an 063 to finalize the API and test that the auto-upgrade works in practice.
    So, tonight aside, 5 releases from now should be 1.0
    Target is June 7th
    If we are behind schedule, we'll probably cut the wallet and gateway changes, meaning only 3 releases to go

• Well, I just got into the new wallet, and put in my passphrase, however, none of my coins are there, and neither are my contracts. Is there something else that needs copied over?

• Is your blockchain completely synchronized? The balance in your wallet will not be correct until you have synchronized all blocks up to the last transaction made.

• No I dont believe it is. I am actually still in the process of copying over my hosted data, guess it may take a while to get both

• Ok, so let it synchronize first completely, then check again.

• still doesnt explain it not listing my contracts and such either....unless that is also all in the blockchain ?

• im going to copy over the contents of the gateway folder and see if that helps with the blockchain sync

• Global Moderator

@tomahawkeer said:

still doesnt explain it not listing my contracts and such either....unless that is also all in the blockchain ?

Your own contracts for uploaded files reside in the /renter folder. Hosted files reside in /host. You need to copy these folders as well into your new location. You probably should do this on a "clean slate", i.e. before the new siad starts for the very first time.

• figures I just finished copying over the 40 gigs . Ohh well ill start it over again from scratch. for future reference, what is the gateway folder for ?

• Don't take my word for it. Just what I would do.

• So I guess the next question is, where is the block chain files stored? Can they be backed up / restored when updating / upgrading so you don't have to wait for hours to resync?

• The block chain files are stored in <sia folder>/resources/app/Sia/consensus folder, and it worked for me when I restored to another pc.

• Global Moderator

@tomahawkeer said:

So I guess the next question is, where is the block chain files stored? Can they be backed up / restored when updating / upgrading so you don't have to wait for hours to resync?

@mg answered the first question. For the second, it depends. Some upgrades in the past have required that you re-sync, some not. It depends which changes are introduced in the new Sia versions, whether they break the consensus file somehow or not. If you are not upgrading, however, and merely moving your Sia installation from one location to another, then simply copying over the /consensus folder works just fine.

• Got it all copied worked like a charm

• Good to hear! If you don't mind adding a few notes what upgrade method definitely didn't work, and which one did, that might be useful as a future reference for others.

• Just copying over the json file wasn't enough. My problem was that I started the client before copying the blockchain and hosted data back over. Actually it was copying while I started the new client the first time.

I would recommend making sure you copy EVERYTHING first. Json file, blockchain, and hosted stuff prior to ever starting the new client.,