Recovering wallet...

• What a day. I'll try to make this as short as possible.

I transferred my coins from Poloniex to Siacoin wallet over a week ago and have not been able to find my coins.

I've tried a # of different ways (which at this point is useless) BECAUSE I backed up my wallet and saved my seed. and somehow my seed password has miraculously disappeared from my desktop. I did a back up...but am not sure if I can recover my wallet without my weed....

someone please help =(

• Global Moderator

@hudene I think without the password you cannot recover.

Make sure you tag me @bryan if you need to me respond.
    Forum Mod. I cannot fix transactions. I can't help with Mac or Linux.

• what is the point of backing up your wallet then? I have a feeling some sort of trojan wiped out my seed I had saved. I used it only a day ago... it just doesn't make any sense for why my document had been deleted.

• Global Moderator

@hudene That's a valid point. If we only need the password why do we even need a seed file?
    I'd suggest some file recovery software and check your trash can.

• I guess I don't understand why there would be absolutely no way in recovering a seed file ...perhaps through 2FA - via email and text authentication. anything... it just seems like this is set up to be a lot more complicated then it needs to be.

With the amount of trojans and viruses going around, it would be so much easier to be able to confirm you identity through a valid way... rather than a randomly generated seed which could easily be swiped from a trojan, a virus, user error.... however identifying an individual through 2FA should at least be an alternative if a seed is lost...

What's crazy is my Siacoins never displayed in my wallet. SIA has been having issues with everyone's wallets. I've been spending the last 5 days trying to recover my coins only to have my seed mysteriously delete itself. Had I not been panicking to find my coins, perhaps I would've backed up my files as I normally do.

Seems like a huge inconvenience and it doesn't feel like Sia cares to fix this as this has been an ongoing issue for months.

• The seed is part of the encryption of the wallet to protect it (from my understanding). Therefore if you lose your "SEED" the actual phrases/ words to create the wallet then your str8 out of luck because there is no way to get you back to the original starting point when the wallet was created which was the "SEED".

FYI- rule of thumb never keep your SEED and passwords stored on a wired connection or your HDD. Should always have them on a USB - or paper stored in a safe if needed me. Multiple forms of backup because if your Hard drive went bad- you would still be in the same situation. Sorry to hear that but ya... your SEED is the key.

Unofficial User / Tester / Analyst of Sia ( w/Renter and Host experience)

• Global Moderator

@hudene There is a way to recover the seed file. But not a way to recover the password.

• @bryan In the case of SC- the seed and password are identical for most people to my knowledge.

• Global Moderator

@moorsc0de Yes but it's one way.

• @bryan are you able to post up how SC users can recover their seed which is also the same as password in many cases? I would like to have that info if its public. thanks in advance

• Global Moderator

@moorsc0de Create a fresh wallet click recover seed and enter the password for your old account.

• @bryan So if the password and seed were the same (as given in Sia UI) - then what would that person do?

• Global Moderator

If you insert the password it will recreate the seed for you.

• @bryan Understood, but to the POST... he lost his password. At least he says he did. Losing the password is equivalent to losing the SEED In many cases. shrugs

• Global Moderator

@moorsc0de Yes the seed is useless without the password.

• wallet.db + password = open wallet
    wallet.db + seed (when seed is the same as password) = open wallet
    only seed = recover wallet
    only password (different than seed) and no wallet.db = useless

• This post is deleted!

• @stealthx meh, the seed and password are the same so i'm rendered sh** out of luck.

• Global Moderator

@hudene Yep sorry man. Unless you can use a file recovery tool.

• @bryan trying my best!

• @hudene said in Recovering wallet...:

@bryan trying my best!

If you're unable to do so then count this as a learning experience and next time, don't just store your password/seed digitally. Write it down! If all else fails, you'll have a physical copy of your information then!

Sorry for your loss.